Tuesday 9 June 2009

Artist Feature - DaffKnee

I've had a pretty slow day, partly because of the rain stopping me from doing the outside things I want to get done but I've made a couple of books up today - I've ordered some nice paper and a leather hide and I'm out to make some leather sketch books for a couple of friend's birthdays that are coming up.  If they turn out nicely and people are interested I can make these to sell - photographs to come along with rough prices (not sure what it's going to cost me to make them yet).

It's vintage day!  

Our first Featured Seller for the week is Daphne of DaffKnee who specalises in collecting up vintage patterns for us all.  When I was doing music halls, I had a really hard time finding suitable patterns to make my dresses from and I never thought of buying them vintage (obvious really isn't it?!).



How long have you been an etsy seller?
I joined etsy in Sept 2008. I started selling on etsy in Feb 2009. 

How do you get your inspiration?
I am inspired by lots of different things. Sometimes it's a television show, sometimes it's junking at the flea market, sometimes it's when I open up my cupboard doors!

How long do you spend working on your shop in the average week?
I spend about 2-4 hours per day photographing and listing new items, about 4 hours per week ironing out patterns and checking to make sure they are all complete. I also spend about 5 hours a week just checking on my shop, editing, and posting in the forums.

Are there any shops that you can't go a day without stalking?
Roxy Mamas: she makes the most adorable dresses for little ones!
CreatedbyLee: she has sock monkeys and dammit dolls!
knittingmette: I think she could knit just about anything!


What your favourite item in your shop at the moment?
My favorite item right now is my Tupperlamp! I was inspired to make it when I saw the stack of bowls sitting on my counter. It's definately a conversation piece! Check it out for yourself and see what you think....http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19733645

Pets? Family? Tell us about those?
I am a single mother of 4 teenagers. My oldest daughter, Liz, just graduated today! I'm soooo proud of her! My next oldest, Hannah, is a really sweet girl. She plans to join the army this summer as a junior in High School. She will attend basic training the summer after she graduates next year! Then I have a set of Twins, Sarah and Matthew, both freshman in high school. Sarah is a beautiful girl, she loves animals and plans to be a vet when she grows up. She is also a talented young artist who enjoys drawing and painting like "Bob Ross". Matthew is in the NJROTC at school, he has been given the opportunity to go to Basic Leadership Training this summer. It's a big honor for him since they only pick 5 cadets from each school to go.
I am proud of all of my kids!


Tell us about a typical day in the life of Daphne
A typical "working day" for me goes something like this... 
Get up around 8am, clean up the house, my sister usually comes over and we talk "shop" We both like to sew and are always bouncing ideas for new projects off each other. She likes to make purses and has recently started making dresses for herself. I like to make toddler dresses as seen in my shop and hats that I plan on featuring soon.
Around 11am, I start photographing my items and listing. I am usually done around 2pm or 3pm. The rest of the day, I like to work outside in my gardens and watch a little tv in the evening.


What else interests you?
I love to go flea marketing and to yard sales. Recently my passion has been vintage sewing patterns, sewing machines, and I am starting to really like searching for vintage clothing. I have started my own blog about my flea market adventures. You can see it here: http://daffknee.blogspot.com/

Is there anything else we should know?
I love to knit and spend my winter just knitting away making baby hats and booties, hats for kids, and want to try to knit some stuffed animals and dolls this winter. I am excited to be a member of etsy and am finding it to be a great site to sell from as well as making new friends!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for choosing my shop as your feature today! This is a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the packaging/picture on vintage patterns... my only problem is that i can't sew and read patterns very well! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Let me know your thoughts and opinions.